Policy     Economics     Technologies

History of Oude Delft 180

Since 1981 CE Delft has had its offices at Oude Delft 180, taking over ownership of the premises in 1997. In 2007 Giselle Ras and Hannie van de Ploeg, two of CE Delft's staff, undertook some research on the building’s history.

An amalgamation of different buildings

Although today we see Oude Delft 180 as a single structure, in actual fact the building stands on two plots with separate land registry numbers (180 and 180a). In the past there were many more (smaller) buildings here, with no less than six dwellings on the right-hand side (no. 180) between 1548 and 1832. Less is known about the left-hand plot (no. 180a). Today, both plots fall under house number 180.
According to the present floor plan, the current building derives from an amalgamation of at least three smaller buildings. From a 1667 map it can be deduced that by that time two buildings had already been combined, with the right side of our building already incorporated. The original old building dates back to the 16th and 17th century. The extension at the back of the property is from a later date.

Under the Monuments and Historic Buildings Act 1988 the current building has been officially designated part of Delft’s protected heritage. Under the same act it is also a listed, i.e. protected site. This applies in particular to the façade and rear side of the building and the ground floor (excluding the extension). Among the rooms on the front side of the ground floor are the large meeting chamber, today referred to as a Louis XVI period room, and a room known as a Louis XIV period room. Both these rooms were refurbished in 2009.

In each of these period rooms there are door units with oil-painted panels dating back to the 17th or 18th century. Between March 1999 and March 2000 these were fully restored.

Who lived in Oude Delft 180?

Jan Rutersteeg
There is a fair amount of information on the original Oude Delft 180, i.e. the right side of the building. Around 1372 we first encounter the name Jan Ruter. What we know today as Baljuwsteeg ('Baljuw Alley') was then called Jan Ruter Steghe ('Jan Ruter Alley'). Mr. Ruter lived on the corner of the main, canal-side street Oude Delft (most probably on our current plot), owning land along this alley.

Stormsteeg
In the second half of the 15th century Willem Gerritsz Storm van Wena and his wife Maria Vrancken van der Meer lived on what today is our plot. Around 1450 Willem Gerritsz Storm van Wena was treasurer (tresorier). In the years 1452-1453 he was alderman (schepen) and subsequently mayor (schout) of Delft. The Jan Ruter Steghe was later renamed Stormsteeg ('Storm Alley'), after him or one of his descendants.

Baljuwsteeg
Later on, Aelbrecht Storm van Wena came to occupy the premises. In 1592 he was appointed bailiff (baljuw) and dike warden (dijkgraaf) of Delfland, holding these posts until his death in 1629 (†02-09-1629). It appears that Stormsteeg was then renamed Baljuwsteeg, 'on the occasion of Mr. Storm van Wena, resident of the corner house, becoming Bailiff of Delflandt'.

1888-1981

From 1888 to 1902 Mrs. Christina Maria van Swaaij-Althoff (1828 to 19-05-1902), widow of Joannes van Swaaij, lived here alone. The house was then purchased by Willem Hendrik Leonard Janssen van Raaij, who lived here between 1903 and 1932. A teacher by profession, he went on to become professor of 'pure and applied mathematics and mechanics' at the Polytechnic College (later Delft Technological University). Mr. Janssen van Raaij was also a member of the municipal council (from 1907 to 1915), chairman of the board of the municipal Labour Exchange, the Delft branch of the Society for Public Welfare (Maatschappij tot Nut van ’t Algemeen) and the Delft branch of the Society of Humanitarianism (Maatschappij van Weldadigheid).

Between 1933 and 1960 the right-hand side of today's building (corridor/meeting chambers/staircase and the rooms on both sides of the first floor) was the home of the public notary Richard Johan Montijn (1888-1959) and his family. In 1934 he partly renovated the building.

Between 1960 and 1963 (by which time the left and right sides had been combined) the building was the property of NV Bureau voor het samenstellen van Bouwprogramma’s, an agency responsible for municipal construction programmes that was based in The Hague. They remained here until around 1979, possibly renting the premises. A little later the premises were taken over by BRC architectural agency, which rented the premises until 1981.

The left-hand side:180a

As already mentioned, a lot less is known about the plot numbered Oude Delft 180a, i.e. the left-hand side of the building. What we do know is that from 1810 until at least 1832 a Mr. Dirk Apon ran it as a boarding house and in all probability also lived here himself. There is then a gap in the history until the period 1910-1918, when the widow of Jacobus Elzinus Kouwenhoven (merchant, †1908) lived here.

From 1924 until probably 1929 we find a series of names. It is unclear how no. 180a was divided up, but the following people had residence here: Mr. Arie Pieter van der Meer, director of a private firm, and the family doctor Hendrik Gerard Wolfert. From 1924 to 1929 the property was owned by Hendrik Nijhof, proprietor of a hotel on Koornmarkt (the 'Corn Market'), who bought up the premises at a property auction. It is unclear whether this was only part of the building or the entire property. From 1929 to 1960 there was a barber's business here, run by Gerrit Kiela (1876-†28-2-1945), who lived here with his wife Johanna Wilhelmina Gerardina Kiela-Siegel. In 1960 the left and right sides were amalgamated into a single building.

Tweets by @cedelft

Frans Rooijers op BNR-radio over hoge kosten klimaatverandering en rechtvaardige verdeling kosten https://t.co/XmOEeaoQg2
15-12-2017 21:06

Waarom kiezen voor de planeconomie? Column Frans Rooijers over Klimaat- en Energieakkoord #energieakkoord op Energi… https://t.co/S4PPQTlB8z
13-12-2017 09:55

Article - Evaluating the environmental impact of debit card payments https://t.co/IfnNwC3p0b
07-12-2017 16:23

Rapport Net voor de Toekomst - scenario's voor investeringskeuzes van netbeheerders in infrastructuren https://t.co/W4mUsLCuZ0
07-12-2017 16:04

Gezamenlijke visie om Omgevingswet, regionale energiestrategie en warmtetransitieplan lokaal gelijk te gebruiken… https://t.co/YwHhzl338d
06-12-2017 16:30